Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 3 Learning Journal Entry (Internet Use)

This week I have focused on blogging.  To be honest, I did not understand what a blog was when I enrolled for this class.  Today, I have just created an educational blog for my classroom to use, linking students and parents digitally to online discussions and websites that are useful in our classroom. 

I am one of them!
(Source: ; Posted by Annie Mole Thursday, January 12, 2006
Shared with Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniemole/85515856/)
My goal, as a third-year young teacher, is to integrate and infuse technology into the required science curriculum.  Today's "digital generation" needs to be surrounded by the latest technological tools in the classroom.  Reality is that they are exposed to these outside of the classroom (gaming devices, internet, iPhones).  My goal this school year is to show students that they can use these same tools in their classes as well, guiding them to learn science as a more interactive and global subject.

To access my new blog, visit the link I have posted at the end of this learning journal entry.  Enjoy, and please provide feedback as this is only my second blog I have ever created!  (Can you sense the excitement?!)

My Classroom Blog

8 comments:

  1. "Today, I have just created an educational blog for my classroom to use, linking students and parents digitally to online discussions and websites that are useful in our classroom."

    Congrats on setting up your second blog (and your first for your student/parent audience)!

    Please keep us posted on your progress with that project.

    I enjoyed your "20,000 a day start a blog" photo, but you might double-check your attribution of ownership. Creative Commons doesn't own the image.

    See http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions (Scroll down to "How do I properly attribute a Creative Commons licensed work?")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    Your blog looks great. I have been debating on whether or not to start one for my class. I am hoping that it will get more parents involved in your class and their children's education. I plan to check back often and see how it is going. Thanks for the encouragement!
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the positive feedback! Please check my modified caption to see if this is correct. Thanks!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the photo "Britain Going Blog Crazy-Metro Article" was shared via Flickr by user "Annie Mole" under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 license at http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/anniemole/85515856

    While there is no perfect formula for attributing Creative Commons licensed images from Flickr, the above elements are all required to be included. (The URL to the photo's specific page on Flickr could be handled by linking the title, for instance. Similarly, the parameters of the specific Creative Commons license named above can also be linked to the appropriate URL on the Creative Commons site.

    You can experiment and also observe what others do. (Of course, not everyone attributes correctly, and those who do might cut corners.)

    Some folks find it helpful to use automated tools to find and attribute images. Try some web searches to see what you can discover. :-)

    Hope that helps.

    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job on the classroom blog!! I was thinking of making one too but I teach Kindergarten so it would only have parents communicating on it. However, I do have a Wiki page and Shutterfly site for my classroom which seem to be good for my classroom. I will check back to see how your classroom blog is going. I am interested to see how the parents and students will open up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad news today.

    I have learned that my school district is stifling my creativity. I can not create my own personal blog site for classrooms to use. You can only create similar functions through approved district web sites. Figures in our world today...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathanael,

    Thanks for your support. I will attend trainings on how to use gaggle, which is a district program with similar functions to blog sites. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete