Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Week 7, New Computer; My Dream at Life and Work!

I have technological issues.  Why is it that I have to wait 10 minutes for my computer in my classroom to load for the day?  Why can’t I close my laptop at home without it falling apart?  These are just a few of the many issues I am currently facing while balancing teaching, a gifted endorsement class, and a grad school class.  With plenty of online coursework between the three things, is it vital to use an efficient computer that gets the job done in a fast time-frame.  At school, I am stuck with a computer from the early 2000s with Microsoft 2003 and barely any memory.  Connected to a SMART board, it consistently becomes disoriented and locks up.  At home, my computer constantly shuts down and is becoming slower and slower, even though it’s only 3 years old.

The point of this blog is to discuss how fast technology outdates itself.  My current goals are to purchase a new computer at home and await a promised newer computer from our administration at school.  These devices are only so many years old, yet incapable of performing tasks that I need to complete at a high-efficiency rate.

So, after reading the special feature in chapter 4, I am still undecided on what computer to choose for my next personal laptop.  Apple?  Windows PC?  What model/type of Apple should I get?

3 comments:

  1. Brian,
    Coincidentally, my blog posting this week was about losing my hard drive files that I forgot to back up. I decided to buy a Toshiba L505 to replace my outdated PC. I shopped around through the major computer store web pages (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc.). It takes a little extra homework to compare prices and different models but it will pay off in the end.
    I think that there are a number of teachers that feel for your classroom computer situation. Interactive whiteboards are great technology tools for a classroom as long as they have a laptop to support them. You can't utilize their potential if they aren't working. Keep on your school and you will get your new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a way for you to bring your home computer to school? If you purchase a new laptop for your personal use, you could possibly bring it to school and help speed things up with your SmartBoard. All you need to do is download the software to the laptop and enter the product key. And you'll also have the ability to work on your SmartBoard lessons from the comfort of your recliner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ statpat: Thanks for the guidance on researching for new computers! I will begin my search very soon.

    @ Shelly: Yes, I could definitely bring my home computer to school. My goal (once I can afford a new computer) is to bring my computer to the classroom! I can't wait for this integration of technology.

    Thanks for your posts and great support!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete